Комментарий "Eclipse"

Форум для обсуждения Battletech в целом.

Модераторы: Siberian-troll, Hobbit

Комментарий "Eclipse"

Сообщение DeJaVu » 09 авг 2008, 08:49

The Crescent Hawk's Inception was my first experience with the CBT universe. You can blame all of it on that silly game. So when I realized that I'd need a Crescent Hawks story for the Chandy Sequence of stories, I just sort of abused my editor's hat and um... kept it.

It was difficult to write this story. I mean, how do you recreate a legend that had more or less disappeared for most of the last decade (in the real world) and half-century (in the game world)? I mean, this is CBT, so some things were a given: there had to be a Youngblood, there had to be Phoenix Hawk, etc. etc. There were already a few sources in print at the time that mentioned them, so I couldn't make it all up as I went. So I did my research. I picked a mission. I picked a world.

Then I started looking at pictures. Because I knew this was going to be a long story, and I wanted it more about people than about big walking tanks. I wanted readers to connect with the characters more than the 'Mechs, so I tried to make as real as possible the characters of the Hawks and the Ruchbah resistance. And I tried to think about the sort of mental place a fast-strike, fast-moving, never-time-to-set-down-roots type of unit might be in. And, as I was writing it, Jeremiah Youngblood became Jer. That was a fun edit--all those -emiahs to remove, LOL.

I hope you laughed a few times as you read it. Jer became quite a smartaleck in my head. I didn't intend to sit down and put any humor into it, but some came out, anyway.

Toll was a lot of fun, too. And Rodney, and everyone else. I really hope I can return to this unit, and do something more.

"Eclipse" was a story about the people in it. Yes, it's a Chandy story. Yes, it sets the stage for Arcturus. But all that is incidental to what I intended to do.
DeJaVu

Вернуться в Общий форум